Sunday, September 19, 2010

ObGyn

The posting will start tomorrow.
Despite me being more ignorant than others, I received *some* information about the posting.
Being scolded is the norm. We will normally get used to it within a week.
Beware of being compared to the third years. If they know the answers, so should you, or you should have a better answer.
Sleep is a luxury, not necessity.
You will be doing most of the house officers' work (same hours) but you will not be paid. And oh, we have to study on top of that.

Very discouraging talk by friends but will try to look forward to it. At least I hope I can pass the posting so I don't have to go through it again.
I can't explain why I dislike the posting so much. For me it's mainly the Obs part.
It had been an eye-opener for me when I went through the posting in third year  (well, most posting are except anaesthesiology and community medicine). I never appreciate my mother for giving birth to 4 kids (9 months is a very long time, what more 36) and then RAISING them up (-_____-'''). Anything can go wrong during pregnancy and you have to start all over again. I've seen so much despair in those who had miscarriage or had to terminate the pregnancy after finally being able to conceive. So every time I see a bulge in a woman in reproductive age group, I actually try todifferentiate a gravid uterus/pure fat. If I suspect the former, I steer at least 5 feet distance from them, so that I don't bump into them accidentally.

The movies often depict the nicest/worst moments of our lives, but they exaggerate them (some just a little, and some too much until it seemed fake to those who seen those moments many times in real life) or cut some not so nice/deemed not so important/not so interesting aspects.

The part where mothers glow with happiness do happen I think (not so much during labour, but yes post-partum AFTER they get some rest and meal-labour=hours of screaming/moaning/in pain and fasting for some), but maybe more often and for a longer duration in fiction. 
To film a pregnancy is too long so they only forced us to watch the labour process (also cut short, they did not film the first stage, only second stage) when I was in secondary school.
I didn't watch the film (maybe I already know I had to see the real thing then). I turned my back from the screen and stuffed my ears with tissues. Labour=horror movie to me. Maybe that's why I dislike the posting so much.

But then again, not all labours are so painful and the posting is as interesting as others if only we cut out the labour part. To do what we can to ensure pregnancies progress smoothly and to deliver a baby into the world is kind of exciting (again excluding all the blood, cleaning instruments). Who knows the baby may turn out to be some one who have significant contribution to the world one day! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home